Sunday, September 06, 2009

Book Review: I'll Make You an Offer You Can't Refuse by Michael Franzese

I just finished the book I'll Make You An Offer You Can't Refuse: Insider Business Tips From A Former Mob Boss by Michael Franzese last night. I have to admit, it was a very good book. Now if you happen to be a Harvard Business School grad, this may not be for you. And, if you are looking for some in-depth business concepts discussed, then you should probably move along. If you are looking for an interesting read about someone who has lived on both sides of the law, was successful on both, and genuinely wants you to succeed within the boundaries of the law, this book is for you.

What you will get with this book: A comprehensive compare-and-contrast of the Machiavellian (mobster) way of conducting business vs. the wisdom of Solomon (fm the book of Proverbs). The author, Michael Franzese, discusses how he got ahead as a made man by following the way Machiavelli proposed in his works The Prince and other books. He contrasts this with the teachings of Solomon from the book of Proverbs, and shows how a legitimate business person can succeed. At the end of each chapter, the author summarizes his main points in tidy packages he called “Get the Message” which I appreciated.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Mr Franzese’s book. It was entertaining, and I would recommend it to anyone, regardless of their interest in the world of business. It also made me curious to read his previous book about his life and how he was able to extricate himself from the mob…

No comments: